Coming back from the brink



 I have been on a writing hiatus for the past year and a half. I had had enough of the public life I had been leading and I was actually living to produce content for the various social media accounts I am linked too. It was all backwards and less than genuine. Even the moniker that I was given "The Kayak Addict" just didn't fit. It wasn't my style and did not reflect the person, builder and paddler that I am. I took a painfully long time to find myself amongst the swirling sea of crap that surrounded me. 

You never really know what you have until you are ready to let it go. I did just that on September 9th of last year. I posted the following on Turning Point's Facebook Page.


"It is with much sadness that I have to say that effective immediately, Turning Point Kayaks will be suspending operation. I appreciate all of the support over the past year and a half. I do intend to continue building boats in the future, once another suitable location is found. For now I must focus my attention on fulfilling my personal obligations. So long for now and Thank you for your support."

I had to give up on the dream for a while. Set it aside and concentrate on me. Within a week things started to turn in a new direction. Support was coming from unexpected places and the requests for work started to trickle in. I was offered space to work and it began from there. Slowly and surely the fire started to burn again and I was getting back to the person, builder and paddler I once was. Since October, I've slept on a couch, worked until the wee hours of the morning and endured countless hours behind the wheel to hold a full time job and work on boats to make this dream come back to life. The tide had turned and I was determined to reclaim what I had worked so hard to build, my reputation.


Part of the reclamation process was to get rid of the persona that was created for me as a marketing tool. The Kayak Addict is dead and replaced by the wide eyed, grinning guy who only wants to push his own limits. I could care less about creating content, it will happen when it happens. Also gone was the confusing logo that once made my brain hurt. It was unique, but did not reflect my style. The rebranding began. The name changed, but "Turning Point" had to stay. So the new name became Turning Point Boatworks. I do so much other work on boats other than kayaks, Boatworks seemed more appropriate. 




I started to paddle again. I was getting my Mojo back. The artistry with the paddle returned, all that was missing was the passion for the solitude of the moment and the connection with the water. Things became easy again. second nature and graceful. My roll is strong and dare I say "bomb proof". When I am paddling now the world disappears, that child like sense of adventure is what guides me. I cant wait to get back out in the surf to challenge mother nature to a little duel of wills. She will always win, but I get smarter every time.



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I have been going through a similar mental reset and can appreciate the need for what it. I wish you well and hope this new start brings you peace of mind, and allows you to be the best version of yourself. All the best, Christopher

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment