It's getting serious and my brain hurts.

My lack of posting recently is a direct result of being busy. I have completed and delivered a completed Annapolis Wherry for a customer and work has resumed on the Petrel Play. I was even asked to represent my old employer, Chesapeake Light Craft, on their annual cross country tour. My focus has returned to the mold of the Petrel Play



There are many different ways to build a mold. As I find my way through the daily challenges, the goal gets closer to completion. Building the mold frame and flange is challenging. It needs to hold the plug level and provide the base for the flange. Considering the plug is a odd shape this proved to be a test for my visualization and building skills.

My solution was to make female molds from the templates I made the forms. Taking into account the skin thickness and all of the newly added features like hatch recesses and cockpit. Each one was fitted to the boat and tied together with a pair of wood runners that would hold the assembly until the flange was attached.

















Once the plug fit into the frames, I could then begin the process of fitting the flange. It needs to be as tight to the hull as possible. To accomplish this, Masonite boards were laid onto the top of the frames and marked to closely mimic the hull parting line profile. The flange was carefully cut and then several trial fits were required to get it just right. The gap is minimal and will be sealed off with clay or tape for the application of the tooling gel coat.




So, what's next? There are a few areas that I will be touching up on the plug. The perfectionist in me has reached a point where I've found a few things that need some attention. I also had a freak gust blow through the shop that knocked it off the stands a few weeks ago. The damage was limited to a couple of dings. I am glad I chose to build it the way I did so that it would survive incidents like this. The supplies are on the way for the mold and should arrive by the end of the day. Then the fun begins with a marathon fiberglassing session to build up the thickness and strength needed to start building hulls. 

Comments

  1. Awesome, where did you learn to build kayaks? I think I've the same passion about kayaking, it would be great if I build one, but I don't know how or where to start and also I don't have any abilities or experience with building something. I only know how to suture wounds haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Daniel, started about 15 years ago with a pair of kits. It is part of my nature to push limits and learn. I surrounded myself with like minded people and it has just progressed from there. I do a lot of materials research and have some great connections in the composites industry. So, building kayaks is a natural progression of life events that put me where I am now.

    There is a lot of information on the web concerning building. I try to contribute as much as I can for others to learn. The easiest way to get into it, is by building a kit. It will come with a very good set of instructions and the company's support should you run into trouble. My old employer Chesapeake Light Craft has the largest selection of kayaks for all paddling and building abilities. If you look them up on Youtube, there is a video series on building a stitch and glue kayak. The boat in the video is an older design but all of the concepts apply to any build. You, of course, can contact me if you have questions. You would be right at home building a stitch and glue design with your background with sutures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! yes I'd been reading your posts and I think I have and idea of how did you start, I know that it's not something I can do in one day to another, I need time, money and patience, so I'll look for a kit, the problem is that there aren't many options in Mexico, I suppose that I will need to do a research on eBay or something like that, once again, thanks for the info and the time. Hope in some time you can see me working at home with my medical background haha, maybe I'll do some work on my examination table.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment