The Why and How of Paddling



I have developed a philosophy about paddling over the past few years. I've done my best to stay humble in my paddling and always keep my mind open to learn as much as I can in the short time I have here on Earth. My passions are building kayaks (and boats in general) and paddling without limits. When I say "without limits", I mean the internal limits that often surface as fear or anxiety. This doesn't mean I will do something questionable in terms of safety, but I will push my limits from time to time with varied success.

There have been several instances in the past couple of weeks that led me to feel as if there is a shift in the paddling community.  First was an article posted online about "safety shaming". How it affects the person it is aimed toward and the reason it exists in the first place. Then there was a quote on Instagram from one of my connections,  @danielmendozaortiz. He wrote, "What sea kayaking needs is not another expert, not another guide of how to do it , but a guide of why to do it, what for, and what it really means". This statement really struck a chord with me, because there is so much truth in it. Finally, I read and article in Adventure Kayak Magazine, about certifications and it's relationship to societies urgent need for expert instruction prior to attempting any activity. We've become paralyzed to try anything new and our sense of adventure has suffered. So what is happening here? There is a certain group of people who can't get over the Sea Kayaking boom of the early 90's and have this sort of gloomy outlook for the sport. Recent statistics have shown the sport of kayaking is having a sort of renaissance currently, and the state of the sport is quite healthy. Sales are strong and participation according to the Outdoor Industry Survey, has sustained healthy growth over the last 5-6 years. But there is the old nagging naysayer that will downplay any of this as the end of the sport because the average paddlers practical knowledge is dropping drastically and people are going to die.

The act of safety shaming has reached epic proportions as of late. In my opinion it's a result of the formation of several large online kayaking communities. It is now far easier for one to grab the Bull Horn of the new millennium, the internet, and berate someone they don't know, or ever met over their lack of safety standards. Personally, I will NEVER be one to berate anyone, for any reason. If they are doing something that could harm them, I will talk with them and show concern, rather than my superiority of knowledge. Having been on the receiving end of an in person safety shaming incident, I know first hand, that there is far more to the picture than meets the eye. The nagging question in my mind is, where personal responsibility come into play? I am responsible for myself and the results of my actions. Why isn't everyone else? Why do certain people feel an overwhelming need to assume responsibility for another persons actions? Accidents happen, whether it is behind the wheel of your car, or taking the dog for a walk. My gut feeling is the "Safety Police" feel that accidents are so damaging to the sport that they believe that the sport kayaking will end if too many happen. The truth is that "Safety Shaming" is damaging the sport. There is a kinder and gentler way to look out for your fellow paddlers.

When I started my path to become a certified instructor, it was for my own personal reasons. I love the sport of kayaking and I am passionate about teaching. Combine the two and you have the basis of why I do what I do. I did not start my education to proclaim expert status. If fact you will never hear me say "me", or "I" and "expert" in the same sentence. I prefer to stay hungry and humble. Paddle with people that are more knowledgeable to gain more perspective and experience.  The longer I keep this practice, the more I have to share with whoever wants to do the same. I can sometimes get lost in the quest for knowledge and experience. A leisurely paddle with friends is usually what brings me back to the reason I started paddling in the first place. The tranquility and freedom are unmatched in any other sport I have participated. The only limitations are mother nature and your abilities. Expand your skills and more doors to freedom will open. There are not many sports that offer the same freedom as kayaking. The ability to become one with the water and get lost in the moment is why I have adopted this sport with so much passion.

As an instructor, it is my responsibility to lift up the people who want to hear what I have to say. The satisfaction of seeing the lightbulb moment in a students eyes is unmatched. Watching their skill and confidence grow is extremely satisfying. This is what kayaking is about and this is the way kayaking will grow in participation. I've seen it work in a Meetup group back in Maryland called Chesapeake Kayak Adventures. It started with a relaxed atmosphere and a bunch of adventurous paddlers. Then there was a shift. The founder Chuck, got certified as an instructor and added another instructor. Together they started offering low cost, low pressure skills classes. The group responded and the willingness to learn snowballed from there. They shared skills among themselves and practiced. The group has grown collectively in skill ever since. The size of the group has nearly doubled in three short years, surpassing the participation of a traditional club that had a 20 year head start on them. The difference....the learning environment and the community it cultivated. They are the model of what the sport is about, enjoying nature and seeking adventure. They are proof that Daniel's statement is spot on. They have become the model of, "why to do it and what it really means".

As I get closer to starting production of my own line of kayaks, these sort of discussions and articles are refreshing. The sport is growing for the same reasons it always has. There is an underlying desire to experience true freedom. A kayak can provide it like no other craft. My part is to be a positive roll model and open doors for the people who want them to be opened. I did this as the sales manager for Chesapeake Light Craft.  Counseling people on boat choice and helping them during the build when they had questions. More often than not, I was humbled by their gratitude because they had fulfilled a dream. What could be better than that?




Comments

  1. Great! Excellent words, that's the point of kayaking, the passion for paddling and enjoying nature, the free spirit of adventure, the vulnerability that causes, obviously you must be responsible for your acts, you mustn't go beyond your body limits or do very dangerous things, but at the end, it's up to you...

    I'm not an instructor because there aren't certified teachers or organizations like ACA but I practice for my own safety, most of the time I’m paddling alone, so if something goes wrong, I’ve the confidence of what to do even if I need to exit off the kayak, that confidence makes me feel confortable when I’m paddling and in my case, makes me enjoy more the sport, and I'm glad to teach my friends what I know if they want, but I always tell them the true meaning of kayaking, enjoying the sport, not being attacked and getting frustrated by hundreds of manuals of how to do it, by other side, sea kayaks aren’t common here in Mexico, but I’m promoting the sport with my friends and with my social networks to encourage the people to paddle more for pure joy and passion.

    Even without the internet, there’s people that always want to tell you that you’re wrong , and it’s ok, but only when they tell you with humble, not with arrogance or with superiority, once I was playing with the waves and practice rolling with strong winds and rough waters (In february I believe) , and one guy of 45 years approximately make me signs of approach to him , only for tell me that he’s a kayaker and I mustn't be on the water with that conditions, that I was paddling wrong to the waves and I'll never go out to the sea like that (Face toward the wave I believe he refers to, I only was doing surf kayaking that day, so I hadn’t intentions to pass the “surf” zone), and that I musn’t be alone (I paddle alone because there are not groups of sea kayaking , do I suppose to stay at home if I don’t have sea kayak friends? I think not, once more, I’m responsibly for my acts). Of course it's better paddle with company, but that's always not possible, especially here.

    And that was all he told me, I just told him that I was practicing like I always do, I didn't bother me to tell him that I was knowing what I was doing, so , it was the way he told me what can I do and what can’t I that I do not liked.

    So yes, what sea kayaking needs is not another expert , or another guide book of how must be done , instead we need a guide of why to do it, what for, and what's the truly meaning of the sport , enjoying adventures, nature, make friendships, feed your mind and body , maybe with photos and histories we can give a taste to people that wants to initiate kayaking but doesn't know where or how to start.

    I think your post inspire me and I made another blog post with my comment haha. Maybe I'll put it in spanish on my blog.

    Stay safe and happy paddling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Yes. Yes.
    What it's all about!
    ~Casle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, i see it the same way as you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment