It's been a super busy couple of weeks around Turning Point. Lots of encouraging developments and a lot accomplished in the shop. Finding time or the mental capacity to put thoughts on paper has been harder than usual lately.

First the good stuff! The shop is full and I'm not lacking for work. It's important to stay focused and organized to maximize my time. A skeg retrofit is completed and ready to be put back into action and I've got a rowing boat to complete for a customer in Virginia. I know it is not a kayak, but my roots came from the wood boat world. Being chosen to finish this boat is a honor and I am enjoying every minute of it.















 Progress on the Petrel Play plug is moving along. Getting all the details just right before it gets primed next week. There has been some confusion about the plug and it's purpose. I think most folks are under the impression that it is going to be finished as a wood kayak. I may shock a few people when it is covered in grey surfacing primer. The Plug is the "male" version of the kayak that a "female" mold will be made from. The mold will be used to make the composite version of the kayak. Hulls and decks will be hand laid and vacuum bagged to produce a very high quality composite version of the Petrel Play and Petrel. As of the time of me writing this, the Play is in fiberglass awaiting surfacing primer and block sanding.





I was also a guest speaker at Chesapeake Light Crafts annual Okoumefest. It was gratifying to see old friends and I was surprised at the number of folks who were following Turning Point Kayaks progress. It was a humbling experience with all of the positive feedback from people I knew and those I was just meeting for the first time.



I started this blog to share my experiences in building boats. It has grown to be something larger than I thought it would ever be. I am continually surprised by the number of people who read what I have to say. The comments I've received in my recent travels, are an indication that I am doing something positive. So, that goal is working out better than expected.

A number of setbacks has me at a plateau in my paddling lately. The broken hand certainly qualifies. There are numerous videos of me floating out on the internet. I try to share both sides, because I am human. I don't always get it right and I usually will poke fun at it. Why would I broadcast my failures for everyone to see? To show that this is a process. We all have someone we look up to as a paddler. Chances are we did not get to see their progression, or their struggles. Anyone aspiring to be better will have obstacles to overcome. I don't think it is fair to just proclaim mastery of as skill without showing the process too.

There has been a term that I have been seeing more of lately, "unconscious competence".  This is where your unconscious mind controls your actions. An example is a professional basketball player. The great players have practiced until the action, or reaction is automatic, regardless of the situation. This is what every paddler striving to elevate their skill set, works toward. It also applies in my shop. There are certain skills I have honed that are second nature. But moving from the wood construction world to composite construction has me out of the unconscious competence zone. The truth is, I like it here, because I am developing new skills by applying all that I have learned before. The year I spent hand fairing my old Camaro is now more important than I would have ever thought. All the techniques I learned there, are being applied to the development of the Petrel Play. Striving for perfection is an unconscious action. The difference is that I am learning with different materials. Sometimes it is a little frustrating, and other times it is truly rewarding. The results I am getting, has me excited for the future of the shop and the boats that I will be building.


Comments