Building the foundation

I've been very fortunate in recent years. The contacts and relationships I've established, have been extremely valuable in supporting my decision to start Turning Point Kayaks. In some instances it almost seems like a predetermined path I am following. It hasn't been the smoothest of rides. When things look difficult, something happens to open doors and restore my drive.


I attended Canoecopia as a representative for CLC. The lease was signed on a Monday afternoon and I had a twelve hour drive ahead to get to Annapolis on time. All I had time for was a quick photo of the front of Turning Point headquarters and I was on the road. There was lots of time to think and make mental plans of how to proceed upon my return to Jax Beach.  I was anxious to get home so I could get working on the shop. As usual, some things worked and some didn't. My LLC has been excruciatingly slow and was starting to be a thorn in my side. Once cleared, the real fun started except for an unforeseen set back that blindsided me.




I was scheduled to attend an ACA Instructor evaluation for my L4 certification. So I spent Thursday completing my honey-do list and making a few enhancements on my trusty black Petrel Play. I added a deck mounted compass, contact tow and made a few tweaks to the back band. In loading the boat, somehow I lost my grip and it was crashing down on my head. I instinctively tried to catch it, but my hand was apparently in an awkward position. I was successful in catching it, but once inside I looked in horror at a newly forming lump on the outside of my right hand. I knew immediately that it was broken and paddling was out for the weekend. A few x-rays the following day confirmed what I already knew and was referred to an orthopedist. How this was going to impact the shop? My palm was forming a nasty bruise from the damage and all I could think was the worst. Surgery was a real possibility.




So, trying to be productive while I learned my fate, I've spent the past few days laying the foundation to give Turning Point the best chance for success. This set back may have been a blessing in disguise. The business plan took the better part of a year to research and develop. What was missing was the fine details of how to get from an empty space to a fully functioning kayak shop. The amount of decisions to be made was mind numbing. Accounting, equipment and processes are things that need to get off on the right foot. All of the planning was daunting, but fun. Having creative control and the freedom to develop the foundation of the shop, is a new and empowering feeling. Sure there are some scary parts to all of it. A little fear is a good motivator. 

Today was a good day. My visit with the orthopedist was much better than I could have hoped for. The broken bone had almost returned to it's original position. As he put it, "a little angulation is not a bad thing". Instead of being one handed, he put me in a splint that gave me use of three fingers on my right hand. No cast and a prognosis of a four week recovery time. The LLC paperwork arrived today and I also got word that I can start building the benches and filling the shop with tools. 

So, what is on the horizon? The weekend will be spent outfitting the shop. By next week, I'll start construction on the plug for the Petrel. The rough sketch for the Turning Point logo is off with a graphic designer. Once completed, the website and new facebook page will be high on the priority list. The entire process will be documented through this blog and the new website. Shop outfitting, plug/mold development and production of the first boats will be shared in great detail. This is an exciting ride and I want to share it with everyone. So if you ever wondered what it takes to build a business and a few kayaks, you're in the right place.






Comments