Taking it to the next Level




I've built many boats over the past 15 years. Each one has been different in some way. New techniques, new features and always pushing my skill set forward. When did it cross the line from a pastime to a professional endeavor? The confirmation came last summer at the WoodenBoat show. I could finally call myself a professional boat builder, in my own mind.

Where was all of this leading? What was I working towards? I can explain. I had an idea a couple years ago, of building a Petrel out of Carbon Fiber. As it often does, one idea leads to another and then another. This is when my path was starting to become clear. I had worked at all but two demos over my five years at Chesapeake Light Craft. The one comment that was made over and over, "I love the Petrel, I want one. I just don't have the time to build one". Was the boat that good? The answer is a resounding yes. Experienced paddlers love the responsiveness. Novices love the confidence inspiring handling. The Greenland purists love the rolling performance. The lines of the boat draw you in, it's beauty is unmistakable and the perfect match for it's awe inspiring performance.

After doing a massive amount of research and obtaining permission from Nick Schade of Guillemot Kayaks. I decided to start building his designs in fiberglass, carbon and kevlar. So what does this mean for my future? I've been a mouthpiece for wooden kayaks for years, some might consider this heresy. I am a paddler first. Who better to build boats than someone who eats, sleeps and breathes paddling. There are many great designs out on the market today, what will separate my boats from them? Aside from a great design, courtesy of Nick Schade, it will come down to quality of build and well thought out features that are a step above what is on the racks at your local paddle shop. I've looked at many, many different kayaks out on the market with a very critical eye. They all use the same fittings, skeg controls are similar and the quality of build is oriented toward mass production, not quality or strength. You are also forced to accept what they offer. Say you have a boat you love the handling and fit, but you want to reconfigure the deck fittings to better suit your purposes. You will have to compromise. I want to change that, by bringing the artistry of custom wood kayak building to the composite boat market. Imagine being able to sit down, determining the layup, colors, seating, deck rigging and components in your kayak. Building a relationship with the guy that is building your boat.

Where this is leading, is the opening of my own shop. Turning Point Kayaks is the culmination of many sleepless nights, exhaustive research and relocation to Jacksonville Beach Florida. In a perfect world, I would have a financial backer to speed the process of development. I don't at this point so it is going to be a slower, and perhaps more rewarding, experience of growing a business organically. I'll be working a "real job" to finance the start up costs and tooling. What I have in my favor is the support of a leading composites manufacturer and supplier. Together we are going to make Turning Point Kayaks the most technologically advanced kayak manufacturer on the market today. The most meaningful and pleasant surprise, Chesapeake Light Craft is also very supportive of my new endeavor. You'll still see me at few demos and shows. In fact the shop is full with a few of their boats in for repairs and refinishing. Aside from building composite kayaks, I'll still build custom one-off stitch and glue, wood strip and hybrid kayaks on request as well as performing repairs. The shop is a small and humble starting point, located in Jacksonville Beach. I will move into a larger facility as soon as the budget allows.

On tap in the next few months, a website and facebook page. Most importantly will be the construction of the plug and mold for the Petrel and Petrel Play. Once completed, I'll pull a couple prototypes and put them through the ringer. March is going to be an exciting month,. Right now I've got a shop full of boats needing my attention, so it's off to work. Stay tuned for updates in the coming weeks!




Comments