The Transition

I enjoy writing about my experience in building boats, but that is only half the experience. More and more over the past few years, I've neglected the best part, using the boats. As a builder, the satisfaction gained by crafting a boat from concept to launch, is truly gratifying. Where that boat takes you is the magical part of the journey.

The title of this post came quite easily. Life is a constant state of flux. People and their situations change, that is where I have found myself over the past couple of years. The transition from writing about building (which I will continue to do), to writing about the experiences gained was the most obvious change. It is the transformation of myself and the change in focus that is the less obvious benefit to my path.

I am a boat building junkie. Building high performance kayaks is a long time passion. A little over two years ago, my life was lacking focus and direction. I was just bumbling through. I was in uncharted territory. On a whim, I took the chance to go paddling with my good friend and now mentor, Nick Schade of Guillemot Kayaks. He took me out on, what is now, the trip that changed everything. I was exposed to an element of kayaking I had not experienced. That day, I got my first taste of rough water kayaking. This was the defining moment that would be the start my current path.



That day, we poked around the shoreline of Ft Weatherill RI. A fire was lit that continues to burn stronger than ever. It also highlighted my inadequacies as a paddler. I worked on my skills, or so I thought, for the next three or four months. It was after attending the Autumn Gales in 2012 that I realized I was going to have to get serious. There were several aspects that were hindering my progress. First was the lack of professional instruction. Second was my current state of fitness. Both needed serious attention so that I could be the paddler I envisioned.

So, the quest began. I enrolled in an ACA Instructor Development workshop with Tom Nickels of Riverwind Kayak. We met at Sweetwater Kayaks in St Petersburg Fl, to start the journey. The goal was to come out of this, as a certified L2 ACA instructor. What happened was something totally unexpected. The light bulb moment was learning the bow rudder stroke. I was always at odds with my paddle, when it came to boat control. It was an all of the sudden moment that my brain, body and paddle started to work in harmony. From there everything started to click. I learned to roll, although not well, and boat control was now more natural than ever before. I went home a changed paddler and an L2 with a only one requirement to fill toward L3.

After waiting an eternity for the water to warm enough to practice, I hit the water every free moment I had. A boat could be found on my truck, almost every day. I practiced rudder strokes by weaving in and out of the empty boat slips. I would keep trying to make an seventeen foot kayak fit in places it shouldn't. It became an obsession to turn as tightly as possible against immovable objects without hitting them. I would spend the waning hours of a day practicing rolling, until I couldn't do it anymore. I was working towards my goal to make paddling an intuitive action. I was becoming the paddler I wanted to be and oh yeah, an L3 certified instructor. I got my certificate in July, one goal was met and exceeded.



During this time, my body was changing. A change in diet coupled with the constant on water time was having a very positive effect. I dropped from an all time high of 240lbs down to 202lbs. Every stroke became more effective and more powerful. I was not fighting for balance anymore. Carved turns and rolls became easier and more effortless. The goal was getting closer and was within reach. The goal was to return to Autumn Gales with a new arsenal of skills, lighter and stronger than ever.

Comments

  1. You are getting me all pumped for the Tybee event with Tom Nickels this November!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment